The IMO minimum requirements for ECDIS systems (ECDIS Performance Standard) are defined in IMO Resolutions A.817(19), MSC.64(67) and MSC.86(70) for systems installed after 1 January 1996 but before 1 January 2009. Systems installed on or after 1 January 2009 have to be conform the the standard defined in IMO Resolution MSC.232(82).
ECDIS Performance Standard defines functional minimum requirements:
- Use of official digital chart data in standardised formats (S-57, RCDF),
- Presentation of chart data according to the Colours and Symbol Specification (S52),
- Support of essential navigational functions (VRM, EBL, Route planning, Route monitoring),
- Handling of data received from other navigational equipment (e.g. GPS, Gyro),
- Performance tests , alarms and indications for (e.g. Anti-Grounding) or for malfunctions of e.g. navigational interfaces,
- Power supply
- Back up arrangements.
Observing the IMO Performance Standards
Vessels under European flag can carry only those ECDIS systems which have been certified by an independent auditing agency to the requirements of the IMO Performance Standards for ECDIS.
The type approval consists of:
- no separation between hard- and software.
Vector chart functionality
- based on IEC 61174 Standard,
- Data installation using IHO test charts,
- Control the presentation according to INT1 (EC) in conjunction with printed version of S52.
Raster chart functionality
- based on Annex H of IEC 61174 Standard.
Navigation interfaces, system reaction to following In- and Outputs
- correct input and processing,
- system reaction to
- missing inputs (GPS, Lot, etc.),
- broken cable,
- alarm or indication according to their logical reason.
Back up arrangements according to Annex G of IEC 61174,
- redundant installation,
- continuation of route planning,
- Continuation of the voyage without system integrated information (GPS, Lot, terrestrial bearings).
- test will be conducted by accredited test laboratories according to IEC 60945 Standard
- heat, coldness, humidity, vibrations, ergonomic, electromagnetic influences (radiation) and resistance.
- true colour presentation by using calibrations.
- special ECDIS system requirements of manufactures,
- additional functions of the ECDIS system,
- tests according to manual or technical documentation,
System test according to a fixed scenario.